Online Blackjack Rules
7 min read
Blackjack and poker are among the few card games you can win more often than not. All casino games come with an edge, but casino bonuses, strategies, and a solid understanding of the game can help you become a master and eventually make money playing blackjack at the casino.
Before you get suited up, it would help if you had a solid grasp of how to play blackjack. The first step is learning the game rules. For this, we have created three sections covering beginners’ rules, actions, and blackjack rules for physical casinos
Blackjack Rules for Beginners
The central premise of blackjack is simple. Get 21 or closer to 21 than the dealer without exceeding it. But there’s more to it.
Today, online blackjack games are played with six to eight decks of cards, each carrying 52 cards (jokers are removed).
Every player gets two cards facing up at the beginning of the round, and the dealer gets one card facing up and one facing down (also known as a hole card).
2 – 10 count as face value, Aces count for 1 or 11, and face cards count for 10. The total of your cards should be 21, or closer to 21 than the dealer. Getting a card total over 21 (busting) automatically disqualifies you from that round, and you lose your bet.
Getting blackjack is the best hand, consisting of an Ace and any 10-value card. Players who get this combination from the start form a natural and automatically get paid. The actions required during each round include:
- Hit – requesting another card from the dealer; can perform this until you get 21 or go bust.
- Stand – indicating that you are happy with your current card set; you can only perform this action once in each round.
The dealer will follow the same process as the players after every player’s hand has been decided; standing, getting 21 or going bust.
Busted players must wait for the next round to become part of the action since they have already lost their bet. Anyone with a natural gets paid instantly, while players with the same hand as the dealer don’t win or lose anything (called a push).
Blackjack rules in practice
Let’s look at three different scenarios of video blackjack, i.e., you against a bot dealer. When playing on a live dealer or real blackjack table, further actions are required due to the participation of other players. Thus, these are the most basic scenarios, although the same rules apply indifferently.
- You bet a $5 chip on the table.
- The dealer hands you two cards; A and 10. You automatically win, and the round ends.
- Your balance turns from $10 to $15.
- You bet a $10 chip on the table.
- The dealer hands you two cards; 8 and 3.
- He continues to deal with one face-up card (9) and a hidden card.
- You call for another card, and you get a 4. Your total is now 15.
- You call another card, and you get a 3. Your total is now 18, and you decide to stand.
- The dealer uncovers their hidden card, and it is a 4. Their total is 13, and they hit.
- Their next card is a 7, and the total is 20.
- 20 vs. 18, the dealer wins, and you lose your $10.
- You bet a $5 chip for the round.
- The dealer hands you an 8 and an Ace. The total can be either 9 or 19.
- The dealer continues to hand a 10 and a hidden card for themselves.
- You stand, and the dealer uncovers a 5.
- They hit another card, and it is a 6, bringing them to a 21 total.
- You lose your $5 chip, and the next round begins.
Remember that the overall gameplay, bets, and winning scenarios can differ across blackjack variations. It is essential to learn the blackjack rules for each specific game unless you stick with American Blackjack, the standard form of the game.
Other Blackjack Actions
The hit and stand are the basic rules you will perform when playing blackjack. However, there are several more actions, although some depend on the variant you play.
Actions at Brick-And-Mortar Blackjack Tables
Most blackjack hands are played online today, and the above rules for blackjack should be enough to get you in the game. Your quick and calculating thinking can then turn you from a beginner to a pro. Nonetheless, if you are planning to visit an online casino to play blackjack, there are additional blackjack rules to know. These are more of blackjack card rules and etiquette, essential if you don’t want to get banned from the casino.
- Use signals instead of talking to the dealer during the play; i.e., hitting the table instead of verbally asking for another card.
- Do not use the money during the game or bet using cash; exchange these for chips in-between rounds by leaving cash on the table.
- Do not directly interact with the cards; unless the gameplay explicitly involves this.
- Do not move or touch the chips; you can freely bet or touch the chips you own, but not the ones you wagered for that round.
- Do not be afraid to ask; everyone was once a blackjack beginner, so don’t hesitate to ask questions to the dealer. However, avoid interacting with other players during the play.
- Stay in control of your objects and actions; stay sober when on the blackjack table and keep items and drinks outside the table.
Rules of Blackjack FAQs
What are the basic rules of blackjack?
Is blackjack and 21 the same game?
How much is an Ace in blackjack?
What does K mean in blackjack?
When should you hit in blackjack?