- The Strip continued experiencing persistent violent crime this weekend when one gunman shot and wounded three people at the Circus Circus Hotel and Casino.
- The three victims were taken to local hospitals for treatment and were in stable condition as of Saturday night, police said.
- Police apprehended the suspect on Saturday and could place legal charges on the person.
- Police say they have tremendously succeeded in minimizing incidents of violent crime on the Strip.
The wave of violent crime on the Las Vegas Strip persisted this weekend when a lone gunman shot and injured three people Saturday evening at Circus Circus Hotel and Casino’s Adventuredome.
The incident happened inside the spacious five-acre amusement park at around 7:30 pm. Local police disclosed that a fight between two different groups consisting of juveniles and young adults escalated into the shooting.
All three victims were taken to local hospitals for treatment. Police said each of them was in a stable condition as of Saturday night.
Police apprehended one suspect on Saturday whom they can lay legal charges on. Officers described the incident as an isolated one.
Following the gunshots, some guests inside Circus Circus were evacuated, initial news reports from local TV station KLAS said. The report added that visitors were “shaken up” from the shooting.
An unidentified Circus Circus visitor told KLAS, “We had left to go to dinner. And then we came back… I saw people in tears, crying.” She added, “This should be a family area, where all these kids play. And to know that people are out there just killing people — it’s not okay.”
“My daughter was there. Fight broke out, and then she heard gunshots. Thankful she was with great people who brought my baby home safe,” read a post on KLAS’ Facebook page from another person identified as U’i Lani.
“I was just there with my whole family. Worst moment of my life!!! Thank god we got out safe! We left as soon as possible!” Esme Regino, another poster, reported.
As of September, the Convention Center Area Command of the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, which includes most of the Strip’s resorts, reported a recent rise in slightly less than 29% in aggravated assaults.
While at the scene, Metro Capt. Dori Koren told reporters the department had several officers on the Strip that evening, which resulted in a quick response. The department implemented the overall, beefed-up police presence last month in response to the many shootings and other violent crimes that happened there in recent months.
While Koren confirmed that there seem to be fewer incidents more recently, he said it isn’t enough yet.
Police have blamed out-of-town guests and gang members for the recent surge in violence.
Koren said a coordinated effort is underway to bring Las Vegas “back to where it was before we shut down.” The movement involves Metro police, Clark County Sherriff Joe Lombardo, the Clark County Commission, other law enforcement agencies, and security workers at Strip properties.
Koren said they have had “tremendous success” in getting Las Vegas back to almost normal.