Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, is on the spot after 147 vacationing tourists have raised sickness concerns while staying in the hotel over the month of June. The concerns were raised through the website iwaspoisoned.com. The situation was dire last week after 128 cases were posted on the website.
The website is tailored for consumers and tracks food-borne sicknesses. The site provides a platform for guests to report illnesses in the case of the food they eat in the restaurants raises any health concern.
The Seminole Native American tribe of Florida owned casino has also seen two deaths reported at the casino. Patrick Quade, the iwaspoisoned.com founder, reported that since the start of March, almost 70 tourists’ deaths have been reported resulting from illnesses got from the Dominican Republic-based resorts.
The number has increased from 10 that was reported in 2018. A huge number of the 70 have been cases from Hard Rock Punta Cana.
‘fever, vomiting and diarrhea’
The website has seen posts from tourists experiencing signs and symptoms like fever, vomiting and diarrhea with some of them hospitalized. One such post reads, ‘After 2 days, my husband became violently ill with diarrhea, fever and nausea. A day later, I became ill with the same, including fever and chills.’
The hotel has been rated highly on the TripAdvisor page but this has seen some revelers reporting illnesses from their stay in the hotel resulting to the page issuing a disclaimer advising the tourists planning to pay Hard Rock a visit to do a bit of research when making the plans.
Last week saw another death case reported bringing the number of deaths reported to eight (8). Leyla Cox, an MRI technician, met his death in Punta Cana at the Excellence Resort as his son reported. He further said that the toxicology test would not be carried out citing the reason to a broken toxicology machine as the US Embassy in the Dominican Republic said to him.
FBI takes over
FBI is expected to take blood samples from the tourists allied with the US who have met their death in suspicious circumstances. Some of them have been reported to have taken a drink from the minibar in the resorts.
Some of the reasons the federal bureau suspect is the bootleg alcohol being consumed by the guests and another reason they are working with the local authorities is to find out whether the chemical pesticides could play a part in the deaths.
With the signs and symptoms being exhibited by the guests, experts claim that there might be an exposure of methanol that is used to adulterate the bootleg liquor or with the pesticides, a powerful agent, organophosphates, might be the reason.
Some of the deaths reported have also been as a result of cardiac arrest. The pesticide agent has been identified as a cause of cardiac arrest in extreme cases which brings the notion of pesticide as one of the reasons causing death in the resorts.
Hard Rock Punta Cana have since released a statement stating that the safety of its visitors has and will be treated with the utmost priority and the hotel is confident ‘all protocols were followed in ensuring the safety of the tourists.’